S.M.R.T. - Regional Transit Bus for Southwest Wisconsin
rideSMRT Commuter Bus System for Crawford, Vernon and La Crosse Counties
Scenic Mississippi Regional Transit bus service runs weekdays, Monday - Friday.
The bus service began on Monday, December 3, 2012.
- SMRT Bus Blue Route Time Schedule (PDF)
- SMRT Bus Yellow Route Time Schedule (PDF)
- SMRT Bus Red Route Time Schedule (PDF)
Due to the road construction on Hwy 35, South of La Crosse, the Red Bus may experience delays.
Area businesses, local units of government, and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation are contributing to provide inexpensive public bus transportation for Southwest Wisconsin citizens.
The focus of this regional bus transit service is for commuters, elderly and disabled residents, the general public and potential tourism related travel. Each time you board the bus you pay only $3.00 (cash) one way no matter how far you ride. The drivers will not be making change, so please have correct payment ready.
If you have any questions about the routes, please call toll free: 877-444-6543.
SMRT will operate three routes with buses running Monday - Friday.
- Buses are handicapped accessible with bike carriers
- $3.00 per one way trip. The drivers will not be making change, so please have correct payment ready.
- Depending on the size of the communities served, there would be one to six stops.
- Schedules are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check for updated schedules.
Discount Punch Cards
- $30.00 Value Punch Cards for $25.00
- $60.00 Value Punch Cards for $50.00
- New Monthly Passes Valued at $80.00
- Punch cards are Non-Refundable
Attention: The transportation of pets or other animals is not permitted on the SMRT bus.
Exception - Service animals for legally impaired individuals.
Route 1 - Blue Route (Monday - Friday)
The Blue Route bus has three routes that all start in Viroqua, then stops in Westby, Coon Valley to La Crosse. This route then returns to Viroqua through Coon Valley and Westby. Blue Route also stops in LaFarge early morning and late afternoon. There is an early morning route, a mid-morning route and a later afternoon route.
BLUE ROUTE SCHEDULE:
SMRT Bus Blue Route Time Schedule (PDF)
Route 2 - Yellow Route (Monday - Friday)
The Yellow Route bus has four routes that all start in Viroqua, then stops in Westby, Coon Valley to La Crosse. This route then returns to Viroqua through Coon Valley and Westby. There are two morning routes, a mid-day route and an afternoon route.
YELLOW ROUTE SCHEDULE:
SMRT Bus Yellow Route Time Schedule (PDF)
Route 3 - Red Route (Monday - Friday)
The Red Route bus has three routes that all start in Prairie du Chien, then stop in Lynxville, Ferryville, De Soto, Genoa, Stoddard to La Crosse. This route then returns to Prairie du Chien by stopping at the same locations. There is an early morning route, a mid-day route and an afternoon route.
RED ROUTE SCHEDULE:
SMRT Bus Red Route Time Schedule (PDF)
Prairie du Chien stops
La Crosse stops
Currently all stops will be made on public streets/roads, business locations are only listed on the routes to assist bus users in identifying the stop locations.
Please check back often as we better define the stops, and identify "park and ride" locations.
- About Schedules and Routes, contact Running Inc. (877) 444-6543.
- About SMRT Vision and the Transportation Coordination Committee, contact:
Peter Fletcher, Mississippi River Regional Planning Commission, (608) 785-9396, email@example.com.
Kathy Turben, Vernon County, (608) 637-5201, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanne Christie, Crawford County, (608) 326-0235, email@example.com
- About the Supplemental Transportation Rural Assistance Program, contact the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
The transportation system is funded with support from many local governments, businesses, institutions, and the Supplemental Rural Transit Assistance Program (STRAP), which is a Federal Transit Administration (FTA) program administered by the Wisconsin DOT. The FTA also supported the acquisition of the buses. Business supporters include Gundersen Lutheran Health System, Crossing Rivers Health, Vernon Memorial Healthcare, Organic Valley, Dairyland Power, and the Otto Bremer Foundation.